From: Ion Gaztañaga (igaztanaga_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-09-09 04:32:48

Hi Howard,

>>On the other hand, I don't know if reader/writer priority is very
>>important, since I think posix does not define anything about this.
>

> If priority policy is the overriding issue, I recommend considering
> Alexander Terekhov's algorithm summarized here:
>
> http://home.twcny.rr.com/hinnant/cpp_extensions/rw_perf.html

Thanks for the info. Apart from this, I've seen in your web that you
have concepts such as upgradeable locks, shareable locks, etc...,
sketched in:

http://home.twcny.rr.com/hinnant/cpp_extensions/threads_move.html

Do you have more information about these concepts and their use? It
seems quite interesting for thread proposals. Currently in boost we have
the following:

scoped_lock, scoped_try_lock, scoped_timed_lock

Your web talks about upgradeable, shareable, so maybe we could think
about this when thinking about C++ threading interface. I suppose Kevlin
Henney is thinking about this issues regarding its C++ Threading
interface proposal, so maybe these concepts are interesting.

Alexander Terekhov's algorithm seems interesting, so we decide to go
ahead with this, we should implement it on top of some boost atomic
primitives.

Regards,

Ion