From: Paul Mensonides (pmenso57_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-09-10 04:23:07

I'm not sure what you mean here. Can you elaborate with a small example? My
immediate guess at what you're referring to is something like ABC_ ## MACRO()
where MACRO() isn't expanding, but I may be misreading it.

As far as introducing both an _S and a _D suffixed variation--don't bother.
Just deduce one of them (or both), but it isn't worth cluttering the interface
with multiple variations. The pp-lib itself has this same issue in a few
places, and I find my "solutions" obnoxious at best (e.g.
BOOST_PP_REPEAT_FROM_TO_D_ ## z). In fact, this is one of the major design
flaws of the pp-lib. Originally, it was the best I could do. Now, I can do
better, but not without dropping support for quite a few
preprocessors--including heavily used ones like VC. [Chaos, as usual, doesn't
suffer from this problem.]

A couple of other things...

1) Is there a reason why you're rolling your own COMPL instead of using
BOOST_PP_COMPL? Did it fail to work correctly for some reason?

2) The pp-lib already has an BOOST_PP_IS_NULLARY. However, it is not a
documented interface because it isn't portable to all (broken) preprocessors.
It is, however, hacked up with workarounds for VC and older versions of
Metrowerks. It should be safe to use on most preprocessors. However, the
preprocessors where it won't work (that I know of) are IBM's, Sun's, and
Borland's. Borland's separate command line preprocessor can handle it, but the
preprocessor integrated into the compiler itself has a serious bug that prevents
it. I do have an alternative implementation, thanks to Daniel James, that will
work on Borland's preprocessor, but it isn't integrated into the pp-lib because
IBM, Sun, and Borland all currently share the same configuration. (see quote
below)

Regards,
Paul Mensonides