From: Andras Erdei (aerdei_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-09-11 05:23:40

On 9/8/05, Lucas Galfaso <lgalfaso_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> A lot of people are talking about performance, how whatever is proposed
> should have the best performance ever and to be able to compete with the
> best. That is absurd, is like not having a car and your first car should
> be
> a Ferrari. Did someone _really_ benchmarked BGL? This library is not able
> compete with commercial products and nobody ever asked for this. What
> about
> uBlas, this library has mayor improvement to be made. Some people asked
> for
> benchmarks for the Parameters library that I believe where never made. The
> for_each library defines 'extra' variables that are not always used. Does
> that mean that those libraries can not be part of Boost?

there is some truth in what you are saying, but i think this is a special
case;
most users of (unlimited precision) arithmetic are interested in speed above
all else

of course boost doesn't have to be better than everyone else (and it depends
on the application field what is faster), but imho it has to be in the same
league
as existing implementations to be accepted -- things like ease of use won't
help
here

br,
andras