From: Joel de Guzman (joel_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-09-14 19:56:57

Scott Woods wrote:

> 3. Why ">>" and not "," (comma). Did the "set" facillity
> take priority or does the low precedence of comma just result in
> a different ugliness (sorry, not really the word I want to use :-).

You must've missed the lengthy discussion when Spirit was being
reviewed. Yes, one of the main reasons is because of precedence.
The ">>" has just about the right level of precedence. I would
have loved to be able to use the ','. Too bad, it has the lowest
precedence in C/C++, which makes it virtually useless. It even
has lower precedence than the '='.

Also, there's prior practice: Spirit.

Cheers,

--