From: Christopher Kohlhoff (chris_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-09-15 00:25:43

Hi Caleb, Felipe,

Sorry for delayed reply on this one...

--- Caleb Epstein <caleb.epstein_at_[hidden]> wrote:
> On 9/7/05, Felipe Magno de Almeida <felipe.m.almeida_at_[hidden]>
wrote:
> > Could you give me a rationale of the Task concept name?
>
> Perhaps the active object (ACE_Task) in ACE? The asio Task doesn't
> have a message queue like the ACE one, but it is otherwise similar.

It's similar but not quite the same, since an ACE_Task is normally used
as a separate thread by itself (since it provides a function for
starting a thread). The Task concept in asio on the other hand is run
in a thread, but does not own that thread itself (and in the case of
the task_demuxer_service the task is interrupted to perform other work
like dispatching completion handlers from the same thread).

I chose the name Task only because it was a nice short name that meant
"something to be done", where that thing could interrupted and set
aside as necessary.

Cheers,
Chris