From: Matt Doyle (mdoyle_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-09-16 18:20:49

> matt, i don't think your code example disambiguates what rob
> and i are
> disagreeing on
> when you say:
> > MyCv c = a + b; // Should fail
>
> you don't say why you think it should fail. there are (at least) 3
> possibilities:
> a) at compile time (because it is an error to try to assign a
> 0-20 number to
> a 0-10 number)
> b) at runtime, during the assignment (because it is an error
> to assign a
> 0-20 number to a 0-10 number if it is outside the 0-10 range)
> c) at runtime, during the addition (because it is an error to
> add two 0-10
> numbers if they add up to more than 10)
>
> i think a) and b) are both useful, and i think rob is advocating c)
Your correct, I had thought I understood what Rob is talking about. I think what's causing confusion is that there are really two issues - compile time behavior and runtime behavior. I'm getting the two conditions mixed together because I need both. I need to defend against all three possibilities, I need to catch the programmers mistakes at compile time but I also need to catch the application errors at run time.

Scanned by Fortigate {X3BTB534}