From: Jason Kankiewicz (jkankiewicz_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-09-17 11:51:35

A struct with no methods should, I believe, have a straightforward
memory mapping in order to be backwards-compatible with C.

In order to provide a struct-like interface to a class without losing
the benefits of data hiding by declaring its members as public, I like
to use a nested struct, like so:

class point2d
{
public:
   struct data
   {
     double x,
            y;
   };

   point2d( data const& Data ):
     Data_(Data)
   {;}

   operator data( void ) const
   {
     return Data_;
   }

   point2d( double X, double Y ):
   {
     Data_.x= X;
     Data_.y= Y;
   }

   double
   X( void ) const
   {
     return Data_.x;
   }

   double
   setX( double Value )
   {
     Data_.x= Value;
   }

   double
   Y( void ) const
   {
     return Data_.y;
   }

   void
   setY( double Value )
   {
     Data_.y= Value;
   }

private:
   data Data_;

};

The non-explicit constructor taking an instance of the nested struct as
argument and a conversion method to the nested struct type provides
seamless interoperability between instances of the class and its nested
struct like so:

point2d::data Data;
Data.x= 6.0;
Data.y= 8.0;
point2d Point2D= Data;

Point2d.setX(Point2d.X() * Point2d.Y());
Point2d.setY(0.0)
point2d::data Data= Point2D;

When you want a full-blown object interface to the data, use the class,
when you want a struct-like interface to the data, use the nested
struct instead.