From: John Maddock (john_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-09-19 04:56:51

> I wasn't considering back-references. Does the list have to be tied to
> back-references at this level?

Yes.

IMO it would be extremely confusing to refer to the same element in code as
the zeroth element, and in the expression as \1.

There is a very long history behind using 1 as the first index for the first
sub-expression and 0 as the index for the whole match. Every programming
language with native regex support does it that way, so does every regex lib
I've ever seen (and Eric and I have seen - and written - a few between us).

Sorry, but changing this is really bad idea.

John.