From: Felipe Magno de Almeida (felipe.m.almeida_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-09-21 11:04:20

On 9/21/05, Thomas Matelich <matelich_at_[hidden]> wrote:
> On 9/21/05, Thorsten Ottosen <nesotto_at_[hidden]> wrote:
> >

> > I don't get it. If you put BOOST_ASSERT( false ) anywhere, then you
> > effectively say "never exceute this code". Otherwise there is an error
> > in the assertion itself.
> >
> > So I don't see how it can break anything.
> >
> > (The effect of removing an assertion must not be any in a correct
> > program).
>

> This is a very academic argument, in real life code that should never happen
> does and breaking code which tried to be robust to that is a bad idea.
> Personally, though, I'd probably want a #define to use old behavior until I
> could validate __assume won't break it.

IMO, this is not a very academic argument. In an assertion the code
can really never happen. If it can sometimes happen, then it shouldnt
be an assertion, but should throw an exception. Although I agree with
you that it should have a #define for the old behavior, or maybe it
should only use __assume if it's #defined something, like Marcin
proposed in his response to Thorsten.

--
   Felipe Magno de Almeida
Developer from synergy and Computer Science student from State