From: Andy Little (andy_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-09-25 09:42:02

"Adam Badura" <abadura_at_[hidden]> wrote in message
> Upsss...
> I pressed "send" to fast... :)
>
> I am gathering materials and working on a library (originaly I wanted
> one class, but it seems now that it wont be that easy) dealing with colors,
> their representation (like ranges 0.0-1.0 and 0-255), models (like RGB, YUV,
> HSV and others). Any sugestions or needs?

FWIW In programming I have only ever used the RGB ones. color<T>(T r,T g, T b);
where T is float or int8, int16,int32 etc. I believe these are in use in eg
VRML, HTML/CSS, SVG, XWindows etc..
I know that in VRML the transparency attribute in (RGBA) is used but in some
cases is separate from the RGB information (e.g Material node), so it might be
worth keeping the distinction between a color and a colour with transparency. As
far as the other color types go... Can they be converted to or from RGB / RGBA
without loss of information?. (I think most of them can). If so then obviously
they are equivalent., however my inclination would be to concentrate on the RGB
types rather than the others because of their wide use in the above
standards/specifications. (unless you can find compelling evidence for similar
use of any of the others mentioned in langauge specifications, though I suspect
that they are more hardware than software oriented) FWIW Some interesting
information regarding color at :

http://www.iec.ch/zone/colourmgmt/cm_entry.htm

regards
Andy Little