From: ajb_at_[hidden]
Date: 2005-09-26 21:19:35

G'day all.

Quoting Paul A Bristow <pbristow_at_[hidden]>:

> I have been exploring the use of Stephen Moshier's Cephes Library in C
> (which the author has agreed to make available under the Boost license)
> to provide an implmentation of many of these functions,

Excellent!

I added the list of functions in TR1 to the wiki (SpecialFunctions).
Could you (or someone) please go through the list and add anything
that's already in Cephes? Then we can take a look at what's left.

> AND the other missing, and in many cases MUCH more important IMHO, math
> 'special' functions,
> mainly requiring the Incomplete beta function,
> as I proposed
>
> http://www.open-std.org/jtc1/sc22/wg21/docs/papers/2004/n1668.pdf
>
> but which was rejected as 'too difficult' - for which I suspect means 'too
> expensive').

Certainly not "too expensive" in terms of computing resources; as I
understand it, incomplete beta is no harder to compute than gamma.
Perhaps they meant too difficult to get a useful TR out that people
would actually be able to implement in reasonable time?

Cheers,
Andrew Bromage