From: Andy Little (andy_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-09-29 06:42:19

"Brian Ravnsgaard Riis" <brian_at_[hidden]> wrote

[cut]

> As a simple example, consider a message dialog box with a message the
> user should consider and then choose Yes, No, or Cancel. On Windows the
> three buttons would be centered and come in the order mentioned above.
> On GNOME the buttons would be right-aligned and be ordered "No", "Yes",
> and "Cancel". On OSX the "No" button would be left-aligned along the
> message text, while "Cancel", and "Yes" - in that order - would be
> right-aligned. And so far it's just layout issues.

For this you would provide a default platform-dependent layout.
More interesting is that the message dialog box functionality is very similar on
each platform !

> My point is, basically, that the different platforms *feel* different,
> and users will expect a program to feel like the platform they're on.
> Java apps feel like Java apps all over. This is great for web-based
> applications (my NetBanking wouldn't be right without it), but not so
> great for desktop applications.

[cut]

> My point is that it shouldn't be a "skin". You can change the look that
> way, but rarely the feel of an application.

This is really about the ability to customize the feel of the GUI.
Maybe it should be designed with this capability ;-)

regards
Andy Little