From: David Abrahams (dave_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-09-30 12:43:26

Rob Stewart <stewart_at_[hidden]> writes:

> From: David Abrahams <dave_at_[hidden]>
>>
>> We really need a section at the top of the page titled "What is Boost?"
>> that covers something like the following:
>>
>> * Boost is a collection of C++ libraries
>> - Free for any use
>> - Extensively peer-reviewed
>> - Extensively Tested
>
> Those are fine as bullets. I suggest that each one be a link to
> an appropriate explanatory page. The first can link to the
> license page, the second to the review process page, and the last
> to the test process page.

Good idea.

>> * When you download Boost, you get the whole collection
>
> As others have said, this should be on another page.

No, it needs to be part of "What is Boost?" When these people asked
that question, they wanted to know what they were getting.

> I can see
> having a page that discusses library organization, directory
> structure, header-only design, bcp, etc. A bullet, in the above
> list, could point to that page with, "Easy to integrate into your
> development environment," if you like.

No, that wouldn't be appropriate for this section. First of all, it
isn't really true yet. Secondly, it's a matter of opinion. These
people needed "unexciting facts."

>> * There are some dependencies among libraries, but they are not
>> tightly coupled
>
> That's good, but I'm not sure whether you need to say that to the
> newcomer. At least shorten it to, "Low inter-library coupling,"
> and put it in the bulleted list above.

That doesn't seem like a very significant change, but it also sounds
like an improvement.

>> * There is a tool (bcp) for extracting the parts you want and their
>> dependencies.
>
> Put this elsewhere.

Maybe, if "low inter-library coupling" refers to something, it can be
in there. However, if we're telling people they're going to get the
whole Boost collection when they download, that question will come up
naturally.

>> * Many boost libraries can be used just by putting the library
>> collection's top directory in your #include path. Complete
>> instructions for getting started are at: ___
>
> Covered above. This should not be on the home page.

Whether or not any of this section belongs there really depends on the
rest of the organization of the home page. That said, this point needs
to go whatever section contains the rest of the information here. All
of this information is needed in whatever introductory section we end
up with.

--
Dave Abrahams
Boost Consulting