From: Joel de Guzman (joel_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-10-05 20:59:16

Stefan Seefeld wrote:
> Dave Harris wrote:
>

>>Why millimeter rather than inch or point? For text, there is a strong
>>argument for using imperial rather than metric units. A point is 1/72th of
>>an inch, so it converts nicely. Points don't convert so well to
>>millimeters.

A point is simply 0.35277777777777777777777777777778 millimeters :-)

Seriously, look at it the other way... most docs and layouts that
need accurate layouts (e.g CAD drawings) are in metric. Docs that
rely on typography using points do not need that accuracy. There's
no problem if a font is off by a few microns. This leads to the
conclusion that the very reason that "points don't convert so well
to millimeters" is actually a reason why choosing points as a standard
unit is not good.

Also, PDF and Postscript are points-oriented. I wouldn't buck
>>the trend without a good reason.
>

> huh, I disagree. Let's get rid of those imperial units once and for all !
>
> /me hides

I agree that I disagree ;-)

Cheers,

--