From: David Abrahams (dave_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-10-06 12:52:29

"John Calcote" <jcalcote_at_[hidden]> writes:

> I think it would be a good idea to provide some technical notes for
> various boost class implementations. For example, I have recently been
> studying smart pointers - I've ready Andrei Alexandrescu's discussion
> of the topic in his book, 'Modern C++ Design'. It's good, and fairly
> comprehensive, but doesn't cover all of the nuances of some of the
> boost smart pointer implementations.

Nor should it; he's discussing a completely different design.

> For those of us interested in learning more about the language, and
> more about boost classes and the rationale behind the implementation -
> and for those of us who simply don't have the technical background to
> "just know" the answer at a glance, as I'm sure some of you
> contributors do - why not provide a simple rationale for adding a
> particular member function to a particular class?

Rationales are central to Boost documentation:
http://www.boost.org/more/lib_guide.htm#Rationale_rationale

That said, I don't think any of us is going to try to provide
rationale on a member-by-member basis.

--
Dave Abrahams
Boost Consulting