From: Andy Little (andy_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-10-10 14:09:34

"Jeff Garland" wrote
> On Sun, 9 Oct 2005 15:17:27 -0700, Geoffrey Romer wrote
>> Would there be any interest in a library for attaching units
>> (physical or otherwise) to numeric variables, so that the type
>> system could enforce dimension- and unit-consistency in all
>> calculations, and convert semi-automatically between compatible units?
>
> There is certainly interest. Andy Little has worked on this for quite some
> time:
>
> http://www.servocomm.freeserve.co.uk/Cpp/physical_quantity/index.html
>
> This is one of the items on the C++ standardization wishlist as well...
>
> Unfortunately last I know Andy has officially 'given up' on making a library.
> Maybe you and others can help change his mind or work with him to bring
> something forward ;-)

Just to put the record straight, pqs is in quite a useable state. However to
make it suitable for a boost proposal requires a lot of work. Some part of the
work has been done however. I guess that mention of dimensions n' units on
boost certainly helps to prod me into doing work on it again. I'll have to get
on with it. Meanwhile all feedback on pqs ( or dimensions n' units in general )
is welcome.

regards
Andy Little