From: Jose (jmalv04_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-10-17 12:18:44

Below are my results with g++ -O3

The query should group by city given that in the aslatlong.txt file all AS
in a city have the same (lat, long). This would make the output more useful
(right now the query outputs all the AS from amsterdam first which is
redundant info given that all AS in the amsterdam area have the same
lat/long)

3317 AMSTERDAM ? 991
[ ... ]
The query took 11 sec
0 records will be added to the index
1982 records will be removed from the index
done with updates
5390 AMSTERDAM ? 990
[ ... ]
Update and query re-run took 0 sec

More comments below

On 10/17/05, Arkadiy Vertleyb <vertleyb_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> "Jose" <jmalv04_at_[hidden]> wrote
>
> > Sorry, I forgot to mention that your query was 6 seconds on my x86_64
> 3Gb
> > box
>
> Is this a latest one -- I expect it to take a little longer now... Also I
> am curious how long it took to re-run the query after the update.

Above results are the latest. Files and RTL library just d/l from vault

> I didn't want to compare any results yet because geographical queries
> really
> > need special
> > auxiliary coding, e.g. like building a cities worldmap before actually
> > running the queries.
>
> Right, so I am afraid we may fall into the trap of comparing the
> cleverness
> of hand-coded solutions rather than the libraries' capabilities.

I don't think this is exactly right. Geographic queries should have some
additional logic that may well be part of the library. I don't think either
library has this type of logic now so both might have a hand coded solution
for the time being