From: Calum Grant (calum_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-10-17 13:23:30

> > I've got the RML example for the new query and it is in the
> > miliseconds range.
>
> Would it be possible for you to also run the RTL example on
> your setup? It will not be in milliseconds range, but we
> would have a more accurate starting point to compare.
>
> Also, is it possible to see what the RML solution looks like?

Here is the RML solution. I have annotated the source more heavily than
normal to explain what is going on.

It runs in 16-30 ms on my setup. It gains speed by using Cartesian
coordinates rather than polar coordinates, and also outputs to a
std::stringstream during the timing loop because otherwise writing to
the terminal completely swamps the results. Nevertheless I don't
consider any of this as cheating - this is how RML would be used in a
real application. It's not designed for complex numerical computation -
leave that to C++ I say.

The geographic test is actually quite an interesting case for RML
because it shows off how one would create tables of user C++ classes (as
opposed to just rows).

It is also extremely fast to add or delete cities from this data
structure. I would feel extremely confident in an
insert/run/update/rerun test.

Calum