From: Robert Ramey (ramey_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-10-19 00:55:04

David Abrahams wrote:
> "Robert Ramey" <ramey_at_[hidden]> writes:
>
>>> Why should anyone still use the other version? To save the compile
>>> time for 5 lines of code?
>>
>> LOL - believe me, someone will want to do it differently. I can't
>> say how or why - but believe me it will happen. The adaptor
>> approach lets everyone add their own thing and lets everyone else
>> pick and choose which combination of things they want to add.
>
> IIUC, you currently have some default implmentation that's 10x slower
> than the one Matthias is proposing. Is there any good reason that the
> fast implementation shouldn't be the default?

The current implemenation is universal. The fast ... archive will only make
a difference on those collections whose storage is contiguous. Its not even
clear to
to me that std::vector is storage is guarenteed to be contiguouse. Its not
clear that
its even applicable to archives other than native binary

Basically Mattias enhancement is an exploitation of a special cases. That's
actually
a very good idea. But that's not the same replace of the general solution
with something
more intricate and more fragil - at no improvment in performance.

Robert Ramey