From: Reece Dunn (msclrhd_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-10-21 12:25:15

"Robert Ramey" wrote:
>David Abrahams wrote:
>
>I have this problem right now. What I want to do is the following:
>
>a) alter my Jamfiles to include command line switches to suppress the
>warnings
>in the tests and demos

If you are using the latest CVS version of BBv2, you can do the following:

   bjam release ... warnings=off

or <warnings>off in the exe/lib targets. I supplied a patch to BBv2 to add
support for <warnings> and <warnings-as-errors> features :). It doesn't
support selective warning disabling because it is not feasible to cover all
compilers in a uniform way. At the moment only msvc, gcc, cw and borland are
supported in terms of supporting the new warnings feature. If anyone knows
the compiler options for
   warnings=all on off
   warnings-as-errors=off on
let me know and I'll add support for the feature for that toolset.

>b) The serialization library has a section which details issues specific to
>each
>compiler. I want to add an explanation for this compiler so that a user
>can disable these warnings or not depending on his situation.
>
>This seems to me a good solution and in any case the best we can
>probably do.

I would like to see the number of warnings on the maximum level set for a
compiler to be as few as possible, but understand as other people have said,
that it can sometimes not be very pretty and is in general not feasible (for
all compilers).

- Reece