From: Cromwell Enage (sponage_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-10-22 20:15:58

--- Andy Little wrote:
> 'name' which is "rational" in class template
> "rational" is an alias in class scope for
> 'name'<input_parameters>. What this is really about
> is potatoes and potatoes. So it is reliant on input
> parameters.

Understood.

> I am arguing for a normalised version, so for
> my_rational<2,8>, my_rational<3,12> and
> my_rational<5,20> among others, the normalised
> version is my_rational<1,4> and thats what I think
> rational<...>::type should return.

Okay. I'm not working on rational at the moment, so a
patch would be appreciated.

> >> Secondly, are the next and prior members
> >> necessary? IMO they only make sense for
integers.

> > They are provided for consistency with
> > Boost::Rational, which implements increment and
> > decrement operators.
>
> Just because rational does it doesnt mean its not
> daft... ;-)
> Does anybody **seriously** use that feature of
> Boost.Rational?

You can surround the offending typedefs with #ifdef
BOOST_MPL_CFG_USE_MATH_RATIONAL_NEXT_PRIOR and #endif
in your patch. Anyone that wants to use the typedefs
can #define the macro themselves.

Those of you who use boost::counting_iterator with
Boost.Rational, we'd like to hear from you.

                              Cromwell D. Enage

http://farechase.yahoo.com