From: Paul A Bristow (pbristow_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-10-23 10:15:17

I've read this discussion with renewed interest.

This sounds like a good basis to work on, potentially meeting all the
requirements from the feet-on-the-ground-SI group (almost certainly by far
the largest) but not excluding the head-in-the-astronomicals group (whose
distances overflow SI units!), nor excluding the monetarily-important
finance groups, not to mention the ones we have yet to conceive.

I worry that the compile times and complexity will outstrip both hardware
and compilers, but the only way to find out is to try it. So I would
encourage Matt to continue his efforts in this direction.

Paul

PS My gut instinct is to enforce explicit conversions - mainly as a matter
of documenting intent, but I am just about persuaded that implicit can be
OK, provided it is loseless.
If we can have a way of highlighting when implicit conversion takes place,
that could make everyone happier.

Paul A Bristow
Phone and SMS text +44 1539 561830, Mobile and SMS text +44 7714 330204
mailto: pbristow_at_[hidden] www.hetp.u-net.com