From: Paul A Bristow (pbristow_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-10-26 03:45:51

Some VERY fancy meta-coding is required but the compile time effect on
real-life projects remains difficult to predict.

| > Paul
| >
| > PS My gut instinct is to enforce explicit conversions -
| mainly as a matter
| > of documenting intent, but I am just about persuaded that
| implicit can be
| > OK, provided it is loseless.
| > If we can have a way of highlighting when implicit
| conversion takes place,
| > that could make everyone happier.
| >
| Implicit lossy conversions are the worst curse a library can
| inflict on
| the user, IMAO. Lossless is better, but I am only comfortable with
| promotions, I don't even like int to double very much (as it
| loses the guarantee of integralness).
| So yes, explicit only.

We are talking about implicit conversions from feet to meters here - almost
certainly lossless. You need to read Matt's quite complicated arguments for
these.

| Try putting the line "-- " just before this, it marks this as
| a sig, so
| it won't be quoted in a lot of agents (AFAIK):
| > Paul A Bristow
| > Prizet Farmhouse, Kendal, Cumbria UK LA8 8AB
| > Phone and SMS text +44 1539 561830, Mobile and SMS text +44
| 7714 330204
| > mailto: pbristow_at_[hidden] www.hetp.u-net.com

Does this please you better?

--