From: Stefan Slapeta (stefan_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-10-30 15:48:54

Jeff Garland wrote:

> I'd be fine with turning off the sysbols although I suppose the risk is users
> might encounter this compiler bug -- so perhaps it's better to leave the mark
> up. I presume the best solution to this case is to upgrade to Intel 9.x.

Yes, and the code to turn off these symbols for intel 8.1 is now already
duplicated in about 4 jamfiles :-(
Nevertheless, the problems are solved in 9.0.
(To be correct: if the symbols grow _very_ large [like e.g. in
boost.graph], the problems are the same, but this is because of a
restriction in MS obj file format; however, intel 9.0 prints a correct
error msg in this case, and it also seems to me that they must have done
something with the size of generated debug symbols as those problems
occur much less frequently then with 8.1!)

Stefan