From: Doug Gregor (dgregor_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-11-01 09:49:40

On Nov 1, 2005, at 6:33 AM, David Abrahams wrote:

> Stefan Seefeld <seefeld_at_[hidden]> writes:
>
>> Some years ago I proposed a XML-related APIs for inclusion
>> into boost (http://lists.boost.org/Archives/boost/2003/06/48955.php).
>> Everybody agreed that such APIs would be very useful as part of boost.
>> Unfortunately, though, after some weeks of discussing a number of
>> details,
>> I got distracted, and so I never managed to submit an enhancement.
>>
>> I'v now started to look into this topic again, and wrote down a start
>> of a DOM-like API as I believe would be suitable for boost.
>>

> IIUC the major obstacle to XML support is proper unicode support.
> Don't we need a unicode library first?

I don't agree with this. We need Unicode for handling XML documents,
yes, but there we don't need a Unicode library first and an XML library
second: we could accept a solid XML library (which is mainly about
navigation and manipulation of the XML tree) and drop a Unicode string
into it later on. Stefan is even proposing to parameterize over the
string type, so it becomes a non-issue.

        Doug