From: Mat Marcus (mat-lists_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-11-02 01:23:11

On 11/1/05, Stefan Slapeta <stefan_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> [snip]
> Now, as VC 8 has been released at the MSDN site, there will be more and
> more users dealing with this compiler who will probably be very much
> confused about the standard conformity of the boost library. Thus, I
> suggest to generally set the _SCL_SECURE_NO_DEPRECATE macro (which
> whould suppress those warnings) for this compiler in boost *even for the
> 1.33.1 release*!! There may be better solutions for future releases, but
> I think there must be done something now to avoid a lot of user questions!
>
> Thoughts?

I believe that it Microsoft's unilateral decision to define an "unsafe"
subset of STL algorithms will cause programmer confusion, library
incomapatibilities and sometimes to inefficient code. Boost should take a
stand and disable this "feature" in 1.33.1, not just via bjam, but by
setting _SCL_SECURE_NO_DEPRECATE in a boost config file.

- Mat.