From: Michael D. Crawford (crawford_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-11-02 22:20:51

I'm going to wait until Morning (Nova Scotia time) before I submit my
article to Kuro5hin, as I don't like to sleep while my stories are in
moderation.

I added a fourth section to my article, which will be the last in this
installment. It needs a lot of work. I need to add a few paragraphs
yet, but Kuro5hin articles have a hard limit of 64kb because that's how
big the database field used to store them can be. I have no doubt I can
cut it down while improving my writing, but it's going to take some time.

The new section is "The Right Tool for the Job", where I answer brother
th0m's question, in response to "auto_ptr and it's Alternatives":

   "what does the very existence of this topic tell you about C++ as
   programming language?"

http://localhost/goingware/tips/smart-pointers-and-automated-testing/#best-tool

It took me quite a while to realize I needed to address this in my
article, but I discuss a must deeper question every engineer may have to
answer for themselves someday. I ask you all to read this, and decide
NOW, ahead of time, what you would do if you had to blow the whistle on
a bad engineering decision, one that could cause someone's bankrupcy, or
put the public at risk:

Every Engineer's Solemn Duty
http://localhost/goingware/tips/smart-pointers-and-automated-testing/#duty

I'm pretty sure there are some other corrections that have been posted
that I haven't implemented yet, but I'll make sure I make the revisions
soon.

The contents of the fourth sermon:

IV. The Right Tool for the Job

     * Brother Mike is Overcome with Grief
     * Every Engineer's Solemn Duty
     * Why We Fight
     * The Most Dangerous Weapon Known to Man

Sermon at the Soup Kitchen
On C++ Software Quality and Institutional Resistance to Change
http://localhost/goingware/tips/smart-pointers-and-automated-testing/

Thanks!

--
Michael D. Crawford