From: Aleksey Gurtovoy (agurtovoy_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-11-07 00:37:33

Fernando Cacciola writes:
> So my current proposal would be:
>
> Remove direct-assignment.

Ouch. Personally, I think that in the race to satisfy the conflicting
forces in the marginal number of use cases we are throwing the baby
along with the water.

Here at Meta we use optional very extensively, we never had a use case
for holding a reference, and we use direct assignment very often. In
fact, I consider it to be an essential element in the consistency of
the current interface, which we found to be very intuitive and easy to
explain, adopt and use across our teams.

IMO there have to be strong reasons to override this kind of
experience reports and radically rework the class interface, and
for me none of the argumentation that led to the current state of
discussion seemed to provide these reasons.

--
Aleksey Gurtovoy
MetaCommunications Engineering