From: John Torjo (john.lists_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-11-08 16:13:58

Paul A Bristow wrote:

> [...]

I'm posting my 'bin' directory online:
http://www.torjo.com/code/bin.zip

It contains binaries for vc7.1 and vc8.0. I have a very old 8.0 version,
so there could be problems on your machine.

> Could these be provided ready built for VS 7.1 and 8.0, 8.0 beta2 even?
> (For the convenience of the idle/incompetent - and until bjam/v2 and its
> documentation works foolproofly - 1.34?).
>
> (As promised in the documentation, building the sources each time is rather
> time-consuming to be practicable for real-life use).

It is time-consuming, but not that much -- for the purpose of the review.
What would indeed be time-consuming, is making the library header-only.

In addition to the posted bin.zip file,
to build the log lib, you could do either of:
- copy the library files into your BOOST_ROOT directory, or
- get started by using one of the examples provided by the library.
   You could start with the 'basic_usage' example, or
- include the source files into your projects -
   it's just 3 source files,
   and define the macro 'BOOST_LOG_NO_LIB'

How does that sound?

> 2 I got several "warning C4996: 'localtime' was declared deprecated"
> which should be suppressed IMO, until a better global 'solution' has been
> adopted.
>
> # pragma warning(disable: 4996) // ' ' was declared deprecated.

Thanks, added that.

> [...]
> But overall looking good :-)

Thanks ;)

Best,
John

--
John Torjo,    Contributing editor, C/C++ Users Journal
-- "Win32 GUI Generics" -- generics & GUI do mix, after all