From: Douglas Gregor (doug.gregor_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-11-09 00:43:54

On Nov 8, 2005, at 9:30 PM, Gennadiy Rozental wrote:

>> [Standard anti-policy rant]
>>
>> Policies should be used very, very carefully. They introduce a huge
>> amount of mental overhead, are very hard to combine sensibly, and
>> create very fragile implementations.
>>

> I don't really agree with any of this points. Would you care to
> elaborate?

Actually, no.

Let's just leave it at this: I've seen the eye-glazing properties of
various policy-based approaches firsthand, and had more than my fair
share of debugging and maintaining policy-based implementations. Yes,
policies are interesting; yes, they are useful in some designs. And
yes; you should be very careful when choosing to use them.

     Doug