From: Stefan Seefeld (seefeld_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-11-09 08:00:43

Jose wrote:
> On 11/8/05, Daryle Walker <darylew_at_[hidden]> wrote:
>
>>Why would we use a back end? Why bother making a Boost XML library if
>>we're
>>just going to make a wrapper that punts to a XML-specific open-source
>>library? If we're not going to just mirror the back end, then we going to
>>have to configure translations between our C++ front end and the back end,
>>which could include allocations.
>>

> I haven't seen an answer to your questions, but I should pose the same ones.

I'm not sure I understand the questions, or the assumptions they are based on.
Have you bothered looking at the code ? Have you noted what 'translation'
actually means there, i.e. that there is *nothing* but smart pointers being
allocated there ?

As to the 'why bother', well, the proposal is about an API, i.e. interface,
which may or may not be implemented by a separate backend. If you are not
happy with a libxml2 backend, well, good luck implementing it yourself !

Regards,
                Stefan