From: Andrew Schweitzer (a.schweitzer.grps_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-11-13 13:23:55

>> - What is your evaluation of the design?

Good foundation, lots of features, but a bit complex and opaque.

Some main thoughts:
1) It might be helpful if loggers and managers were "promoted" to
objects with an obvious interface that can be easily passed around.

1.1) I haven't had a problem passing loggers around by use using a
logger& or a logger*, but the interface seems to assume that generally
the code will be compiled where the log name is known. Most of the code
I work on is header or dll code that needs to be passed a logger by the
main system.

1.2) I think the whole design would be easier to "drop in" if it were
provided with a "public" manager interface and the manager objects could
be easily passed around.

1.2.1) I think the static manager makes the design harder to use and
control in a system that isn't a single executeable. This could be
solved by either forcing the user to declare the manager, or possibly by
leaving it static, but making all the functions take an explicit manager
ref or pointer, or making the functions members of the manager.

1.2.1.1) The static manager seems particularly problematic for dlls.

1.2.1.1.1) Currently, the dll can't call the api functions and act on
the application's logs, since the calls will be compiled to act on the
dll's static log manager (I think). Although "externally visible" is a
design premise of the library, I don't think the dll can even enable or
disable application logs it knows the name for because the call will go
to its own logs of the same name. Similarly the application can't
control the dlls logs for the same reason... I think!... maybe I missed
how to do this. If that's the case maybe the doc just needs to be more
extensive.

1.2.1.1.2) It looks like there could actually be multi-threaded issues
writing to logs from a dll, because, if the log thread is used, both the
dll and the app will start their own trhead to write to the log.
Presumably the log is ultimately a single object, like the screen or a
file. I suppose if the locking uses a "named" lock that the OS api can
look up this could be solved. However, it looks like on windows at least
a Critical Section is used, which I don't think is named, so I don't
think the one or more dlls running the thread and the application would
actually lock each other. It seems like they could step on each other.

1.3) I can't seem to pass around log levels. I think this is because
they are const ints, not members of an enum. This means the following
code won't compile:

void SomeClass::Dump(boost::logging::level_type eLevel,
                     boost::logging::logger& rLog)
{
        BOOST_SCOPEDLOGL(rLog, eLevel)
                        << "Some Msg" << m_iSomeMemberVariable << endl;
}

This is kind of important in our code.

2) BOOST_LOG and BOOST_SCOPEDLOG are way too many uppercase characters
to type. :)
Ok, so that one's kind of petty. But seriously, as a veteran of many
many many printfs, my wrists cringe when my brain tells them to type
that out. Seriously again, I'm not sure this is an easy problem to
solve. It's hard to come up with a meaningful short name that doens't
clash with everything else. The best solution might be for the
programmer to make an macro in their IDE that print "BOOST_LOG() <<"
when they press ctrl+alt+b or something. If the name clash issue could
be solved the boost log libary could provide some reasonable default. I
added the following macros to my code, which I like, but I'm not sure
are fit for a library:
#define LG(log) BOOST_LOG(log)
#define LGPTR(pLog) BOOST_SCOPEDLOG(*pLog)
#define LGM() LGPTR(m_pLog) //Log to member
#define LGP() if(pLog)LGPTR(pLog) //Log to param
Then this code works:
void SomeFunction(logger* pLog) {
        LGP() << "xxx";
}
or this
class x {
        logger* m_pLog;
        void AMemberFunc(){
                LGM() << "xxx";
        }
};

>> - What is your evaluation of the implementation?

Looks fine. No usage headaches. Find a few minor bugs, to be expected.
No major ones.

>> - What is your evaluation of the documentation?

Good start, but as usual, could use more - John we know you need more
work :). In particular, I think some description of the underlying
implementation would be helpful. I'd like to see a description of the
major objects and their data structures, and their relation to each
other. I'd like to see a description of how "add_appender" works. It
took me a while to struggle through this in the code.

In particular, I'd like to see a description of how exactly the
BOOST_LOG macro works! This is the most important part of the libary,
and there are couple indirections an inversion in the implementation,
(which seems fine), but takes a bit to understand.

John, I can volunteer some hours in next couple weeks to help review or
add doc if you like. If that would be helpful, I just need some
direction files to review or subject matter. You can e-mail me at "a dot
schweitzer dot grps at gmail dot com"

>> - What is your evaluation of the potential usefulness of the library?

Very useful.

>> - Did you try to use the library? With what compiler? Did you have any
problems?

I've been using the library at home with VC7.1 We can't currently use it
at work as we have a compiler that doesn't support nice things like
boost function. No serious problems. Seems to be working pretty well.
I've spent 4 - 8 hours a week over last several weeks debugging a
multi-threaded program with it, and more hours a couple months ago
testing out its various functions.

>> - How much effort did you put into your evaluation? A glance? A quick
reading? In-depth study?

A quick reading, some usage, then about 8 hours of reading over last
couple months to understand various aspects.

>> - Are you knowledgeable about the problem domain?

More or less. Spent last several years programming an embedded system
with no debugger or emulator but with a serial port. Printf is my good
friend. Have spent a some time writing (and putting bugs in) our own
implementation, which is not nearly so full featured.

Andrew