From: David Abrahams (dave_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-11-25 09:28:51

"Robert Ramey" <ramey_at_[hidden]> writes:

> To summarize how we arrived here.
> =================================

  <snip>

> e) So it has been proposed binary_iarchive be re-implemented
> in the following way
>
> iarchive - containg default implementation of load_array
> binary_iarchive - ? presumablu contains implementaion of load_array
> in terms of currently defined load_binary
>
> Its not clear whether all archives would be modified in
> this way or just binary_iarchive.

This is extremely discouraging. After I stated many times that our
design had been changed so as NOT to modify any code in the
serialization library, after we put the array-optimized archives in a
separate sub-namespace so that they could live alongside the existing
ones in the library, after I offered to put all of the code in some
remote part of Boost not associated with the serialization library,
you state that we are proposing to change the serialization library
code.

It might be possible to attribute most of the other misapprehensions,
misstatements, and gratuitous and insulting peremptory dismissals in
your post to cluelessness or lack of attention, but it's really hard
to understand how a claim that we propose to change the library could
be made in good faith. It appears to be the sort of "when did you
stop beating your wife?" response that injects a false presumption
into the conversation and puts the other party at an unfair
disadvantage.

You stated on 19 Nov. we would start with a clean slate. If you've
changed your mind, please let us know now; it would certainly be a
waste of time to carry on any further discussion if it's going to go
this way. If we've misunderstood your posting, we'd very much
appreciate an explanation of what you do mean.

--
Dave Abrahams
Boost Consulting