From: John Maddock (john_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-12-02 06:36:11

> Actually, I don't know. The issue currently occurs with text/xml
> archives. stream output is used to write floats/doubles to he stream.
> This was based on the assumption that an input stream could read
> anything an output stream from the same library implementation might
> write. This turns
> out not to be the case for at least some standard library
> implementation. This was discovered for some library (VC 7.1) I'm
> not sure whether a pair of stream implementations are required to beable
> to do this or
> not.

I believe they should round-trip correctly, it's certainly possible to do
lossless base-2 to base-10 to base-2 round tripping. However, I've reported
a bug to one vendor (Intel/Linux, now fixed) when this didn't occur
correctly, so these kinds of problems certainly can occur :-(

I don't know what you can do about though, except point at the std lib
vendor responsible and say "blame them". :-(

John.