From: Eric Niebler (eric_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-12-03 21:08:01

MB wrote:
> Eric Niebler wrote:
>
>>Now, the recommended procedure for customizing
>>BOOST_FOREACH is to define a function:
>>
>>inline boost::mpl::true_ *
>>boost_foreach_has_cheap_copy(your_type*, boost::foreach::tag)
>>{
>> return 0;
>>}
>>
>>This can go in an associated namespace of your_type /or/ for maximum
>>portability in the global namespace. (boost::foreach::tag is a typedef
>>for an enum_at_global_scope_with_a_really_long_ugly_name.) This allows
>>for a very simple implementation of BOOST_FOREACH that even VC6 seems
>>happy with.
>>

> I tried boost::foreach::tag-version under VC++7.1.
>
> 'to_ptr' makes:
> warning C4100: 't' : unreferenced formal parameter

I'll fix that.

> Anyway I think it is ok for "me".
>
> But I think about the case that my ranges which are customized as 'cheap_copy'
> are derived from anyone else.
> Won't the same problem as 'iterator_range<>*' come?

Sorry, I don't understand the question. Are you saying you think it's
wrong to assume that types derived from iterator_range are cheap to copy?

> Now that 'has_cheap_copy' becomes one of the requirements of Range-concepts, doesn't it?

No. Boost.Range defines the range concept, and FOREACH works correctly
with any type that satisfies that concept. has_cheap_copy is nothing
more than an optimization hint to the BOOST_FOREACH macro. It is not
required and it doesn't change the meaning of anything.

> In general, do we have the safe way of telling whether or not a type
> is cheap to copy without metafunctions?

No.

--
Eric Niebler