From: Edward Diener (eddielee_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-12-05 10:16:12

David Abrahams wrote:

>>>I think it is too soon to drop VC 7.1 from the list of "release"
>>>compilers.
>>
>>I doubt that 7.1 would ever be dropped, as it's too close to conforming and
>>VC 8 has some features that could hinder its acceptance.
>>

>>>(But VC7.0 could probably go).
>>
>>That's what I meant.
>

> That sounds great to me. Now what about Borland (wrings hands like
> Snively Whiplash)? If anything, that's harder to support than vc6 and
> 7.0!

I understand you are referring to past BCB compilers but I just want to
note that Borland is putting out a new release of BCB in case Boost
becomes interested. The product, part of the BDS 2006 suite, was
supposed to come out December 1 but has been delayed for approximately a
month, not a good sign, with the next exact date not given yet.

I have made efforts to find out whether the new compiler will be more
standard C++ compatible but this has been met by a wall of silence.
Borland has pointedly said almost nothing about standard C++
compatibility, while touting all the other IDE related features of the
new release, and others who might be privy to this information on
Borland's NG are bound by the NDA not to say anything until the product
is released.

Just a heads up in case no one from Boost is paying attention to this in
the wake of MS's much touted Visual Studio 2005 and VC 8.0.