From: Victor A. Wagner Jr. (vawjr_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-12-06 01:49:57

At 06:28 2005-12-05, Martin Bonner wrote:
> [...]

I don't. I've said it before, and I'll say it again. it _costs_
(money, time, effort) to keep the support there, and _not_ just the
authors, it cost all of us (unreadable workarounds, extra source
(extra time to compile), extra regresson tests being run (the source changed))
For cryng out loud Microsoft has NOT updated KNOWN BUGS in the STL
implementation...not even with their (criminal, IMO) SP6 released last year.
<opinion...if you don't like my language or "not being complimentary
to ALL enteties involved in C++" stop reading now> The ONLY reason MS
could have had for that SP6 release was to convince some people that
it was still a product, it isn't, hasn't been for 4 years... ALL it
has done is kept ALL C++ programmers needing to be aware of that
broken compiler</opinion> It's time to let it go

along the lines of someone suggesting getting rid of all the #ifdefs
etc for vc6, I thnk it would be an interesting idea to see a flavor
of the boost libraries that have NO workarounds, period!! straight
up "pure" ISO C++.... just so we can all see what "correct" code
would really look like. We might also discover that we're still
doing workarounds that don't need to be there.