From: Stefan Seefeld (seefeld_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-12-06 10:31:49

Hi there,

now that the 1.33.1 release is out, I'd like to bring up again a topic that
was discussed (or at least, touched) previously.

I see two issues with the current release numbering scheme:

1) What is currently the major version number appears to have lost all its
    meaning. Why isn't it dropped, making the next release '34' instead of '1.34' ?

2) As was previously stated here, there is no attempt to make versions x.y.z
    and x.y.(z+1) binary compatible. From a user's perspective there is therefor
    no difference between version y.(z+1) and (y+1), neither in terms of features,
    nor in terms of time between releases.
    I therefor suggest to drop the last component, too. Releases therefor become
    simply a simple sequence 34, 35, ...
    This obviously doensn't have any impact on any branching policies, or release
    planning. It only affects the user's perception of releases and how they relate
    to each other.

Comments ?

Thanks,
                Stefan