From: Thomas Witt (witt_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-12-07 00:11:08

Dave,

David Abrahams wrote:
> Thomas Witt <witt_at_[hidden]> writes:
>
>> David Abrahams wrote:
>>> I'm all for dropping the leading 1.
>> Yes it is meaningless, but is it worth the effort? Personally I don't
>> think so, we have bigger fish to fry.
>
> I don't think it takes any significant effort at all to name the next
> release 34.0 instead of 1.34.0

I think you are underestimating the effort. There is QA, i.e. finding
all the places the version number is used. I don't even want to think
about library naming schemes and such. Then as mentioned earlier the
change has to be communicated to users with respect to rationale and
what it means. What is kind of related is the ripple effect for users.
See Olivers post with respect to this. This applies to communication
too. Think about telling management/legal department you want to move
from 1.33 to 34.0 if that does not draw questions I don't know what will.

That being said, after thinking about it for a while I have to say I am
not really ready to give up on the major version number. If we ever get
around modularizing boost this might justify calling it 2.x.

Thomas

--
Thomas Witt
witt_at_[hidden]