From: Jeff Garland (jeff_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-12-10 11:25:57

This was sent to me by a boost user and I was asked to post here.

Jeff

-------

I'm not subscribed to the boost developer list, therefore this mail goes
directly to you.

How did I review: browsed through the documentation. The most obviously
missing thing is the ready-made support for LOCAL (also called UNIX domain)
sockets, or named pipes on Win32. These are very useful and popular IPC
mechanisms.

I don't know whether Win32 supports LOCAL domain sockets, and using
Win32 style named pipes won't be portable (as UNIX named pipes are not
bidirectional).

This is not a request for implementation, but it would be nice if the
author commented whether it is possible to support the following local
IPC mechanisms within the library (with possible loss of functionality):

1. anonymous UNIX pipes (pipe(2) system call)
2. anonymous UNIX sockets (socketpair(2))
3. named UNIX pipes (created by e.g. mkfifo command) and WIn32 pipes
4. LOCAL sockets

I cannot give any recommendation since I didn't do a proper review. Overall,
judging from the examples and the reference documentation, the library seems
simple to use and extensible. Another plus is the header-only implementation.