From: Pavel Vozenilek (pavel_vozenilek_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-12-11 15:54:44

> Today (Dec 10th) is the start of the format review of the Asynchronous
> I/O library (asio) library by Christopher Kohlhoff.
> http://asio.sourceforge.net/

I would like to see asio in Boost.

In the past I have looked on this library
several times and the issues I found got
resolved. The library is actively maintained
and getting better.

Generally, the documentation may be improved
with more overcommented examples, with
more detailed description of used concepts and
patterns (at least external links), with diagrams
showing dynamic behavior of the system, etc.

/Pavel

1. Link to the glossary may be added on top line
   so it gets immediatelly visible to newcomers.

2. While having common core handling threads with
   Boost.Threads/a futures library/etc would be
   nice but it should not delay inclusion into Boost.

3. The existing implementation of futures over asio
   may be added as an example.

4. serialization example: the name "serialization"
   used for namespace is rather confusing.
   The word got overused.

--------

The connection::async_write() may be named
serialize_and_send_asynchronously() to
distinguish it from asio's functionality.

5. Some parts of reference docs are too cryptic, e.g.
   reference\a00115.html says:

Error_Source class:

Detailed Description
"Error source concept."