From: Yuval Ronen (ronen_yuval_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-12-12 04:50:18

Hi.
I wondered what the reason that there is a 'operator=(auto_ptr<Y>&)' but
there isn't any 'void reset(auto_ptr<Y>&'. This seems to me as asymmetry.

At first I thought the reason that reset(Y*) is supplied instead of
operator=(Y*), is that Y* assignment needs to be explicit (as the
constructor is explicit) and operator= doesn't allow explicity (is there
such a word?). But if this assumtion is correct, then there is
contradiction between the constructor for auto_ptr, which is explicit,
and the operator= for auto_ptr, which is not explicit. Am I talking
nonsense?

Thanks,
Yuval