From: simon meiklejohn (simon_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-12-15 23:21:52

Chris wrote
> Yes, although I would word it slightly differently: a call to
> post() is required to *guarantee* that func() is not executed
> immediately.
[SNIP]
> First, lets review the guarantees made by the demuxer and
> locking dispatcher in respect of when handlers are executed:
>
> - The demuxer will only execute a handler from within a call to
> demuxer::run().
>
> - The locking dispatcher will only execute a handler when no
> other handler for the same locking dispatcher is executing,
> in addition to the associated demuxer's guarantee (i.e. to
> only execute the handler within a call to demuxer::run()).
>
> I'll add these sort of examples to the locking_dispatcher doc, but here
> it is now:
[SNIP]

Thats great thanks. I appreciate that the behaviour described
is sufficiently specified by the guarantees given for dispatcher
and lock_dispatcher, but for us slow ones it helps to be led
through it. Incorporating your comments into the docs
would be very useful.

The one other degenerate case i guess is if post or dispatch
are called from a foreground thread and no thread ever calls
demuxer::run, then the handler simply wont be called.

One final concern i had is about use of asio in multiple static
libs linked into a final application. (An example that would
come up in my work in VOIP would be separate libs
for media streaming using udp/rtp, SIP protocol using
tcp or udp, application networking on tcp, logging
to file etc)

Are there issues with this setup? Would there end up
being some per lib static objects/threads, or could i
call demuxer::run from a single point in the app and have
it service i/o throughout the app? I probably should be
able to figure this out from the source, but when i drill
down through the code the answer eludes me.

Cheers

Simon