From: christopher baus (christopher_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-12-16 18:56:55

> As I understand it, the Linux OOM killer may *still* kill your
> application even if your application is "well behaved" (in the sense
> that it isn't actually responsible for the allocation that causes the
> OOM condition). It certainly doesn't always pick the application that
> caused the allocation failure.

That's true. My test program killed mysqld yesterday that was minding its
own business. But it is the best you can do.

I don't want to be the application that triggers the OOM-killer. Imagine
a server that does dedicated proxying, that all of a sudden takes a heavy
load. That load shouldn't trigger the OOM-killer.

If all your critical processes are running, they are all pre-alloced, and
you have some memory to spare, you are basically are good.

This is getting off topic, but pre-allocation is good for many server apps
and leave it at that.