From: Ion Gaztañaga (igaztanaga_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-12-17 20:14:14

Hi Chris,

> I made a few quick changes and re-ran the daytime3 server to
> observe the memory allocations. What I changed was:
>
> <some code>

Looks good. Eliminating "null()" makes things much better. However the
underlying shared_ptr<socket> is quite important. Until you find a
better solution, you could try to use a simple segregated storage
(boost::pool or similar) for socket allocation to minimize memory use
(in 32 systems unsigned int has the same size as a pointer) and the user
could define BOOST_SP_USE_QUICK_ALLOCATOR so that shared_ptr's
shared_count objects are also pooled. This way, memory waste will be
minimum and the allocation very fast. Now we just need a way to provide
a custom allocation for async_xxx operations. I will follow Christopher
Baus' proposal.

Regards,

Ion