From: Darryl Green (darryl.green_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-12-26 00:19:25

Hi Chris,
I think the main issue I have with the library implementation and
interface really comes down to a different perspective on portability
and extensibility. Perfect portability would be great (well, maybe not,
if nothing else it would be boring :-) but in the absence of that,
interoperability and ease of porting are better. Also porting of
libraries, porting of applications and porting of entire systems are
different things, as I'm sure you are aware. The trade offs involved in
any given "port" may be quite different - some service providing app
that needs to provide services over some form of channel *should* make
relatively few demands on the channel but the actual channel(s) it uses
on a particular platform, occupying a particular place in a particular
larger system may be quite different from those it uses in a different
deployment environment. Ideally the set of channels supported should be
able to be easily selected/extended at compile and/or runtime (ie. in
some cases tuning/compiling for a very specific environment is necessary
and in some cases very broad interoperability at runtime is necessary).

With that perspective in mind maybe I'll make slightly more sense?

Christopher Kohlhoff wrote:

> This is not consistent with the goal of portability. As I
> mentioned in the "reactor versus proactor" thread, the proactor
> is a more portable pattern than the reactor. In the longer term
> I'm not averse to allowing a reactor abstraction to become part
> of some secondary public interface, where the restricted
> portability is explicitly noted.

I see no reason why a reactive interface can't be implemented on top of
an async completion notification based system - in fact this is rather
common within the OS itself, or as an optional layer/lib in an embedded
kernel/rtos. All you need is a receive buffer managed by the lib that
notifies when it goes non-empty (edge) or while non-empty (level) -
obviously there are a variety of trade offs about buffer size/number of
pending buffers etc to consider. Transmit is similar - claim to be ready
for transmit while there are less than N lib managed requests not yet
completed.

> There's no reason why, in principle, policy-driven services
> could not be added to allow further customisation. But these
> would be inherently non-portable, and so would only be part of
> some secondary public interface.

I disagree that all of these would be non-portable. I'm not sure what
you mean by "secondary public interface" but if it is a public interface
I'm happy - I just don't want all policy hidden in detail or worse yet
rejected from the lib altogether because of a lack of portability. This
is because I need *portability* but not in the same sense/at the same
level we are talking about here. Perhaps "adaptability" would be a
better term for what I am after.

>>I would like to see the aspects of a socket that have nothing
>>to do with reading/writing better separated, as this would
>>make for a more consistent interface for other forms of I/O
>>such as pipes, message queues etc as well as files.

> For stream-oriented I/O, this separation is presented in the
> form of the Stream concept. This concept is implemented by
> stream_socket, ssl::stream, buffered_read_stream and so on. It
> would be implemented by a hypothetical pipe class.

Yes - I didn't describe my reasoning very well. What I was trying to
suggest was that you already have implementations of:

Pure notifiers (timers) - that implement the Async_Object concept

Streams (stream_socket) that implement the Async_Object and
Async_Read/Write_Stream concepts.

Messages (datagram_socket) - there isn't really a conceptual model for
these above the Async_Object level - maybe there should be. While the
send/receive interfaces look similar to the socket stream interface
parameter-wise, the semantics of messaging are of course different (even
without considering the send_to/receive_from bundling of message and
endpoint).

I would like to see:

1) Driver services that bind a concept (or a minimal set of concepts) to
a particular underlying, possibly platform dependent facility. These
clearly won't in general be portable.

2) Policy-based composed services bringing together (composition may be
reflected at runtime ie. there would be multiple "service references"
per active object or at compile time ie. an actual, useful service is
built from policies) "drivers" from (1) to produce useful services. I
would expect the service to be at least conceptually portable, even
though there might be some platforms for which a particular service
cannot be composed from the supplied drivers.

3) Default/standard/portable services using/implemented in terms of (1)
and (2) (ie. standardizing the policies used).

Concrete examples of 1:

A driver for Async_Read_Stream on posix-esq systems that uses a reactive
model and any file descriptor.

A protocol (actually, I'm not sure if that is too much of a stretch for
the existing concept - it crosses over into ACE acceptor/connector
concepts, though I'd be inclined not to follow those exactly either) for
  posix named pipes or anon pipe - read end or unix domain sockets.

Example of 2:

generic async readable stream - this needs not just the policy for
Async_read_Stream but also a compatible protocol, etc) to allow the
channel to be created, connected etc. By selecting polices can produce
stream-socket or char device I/O for example.

Examples of 3:

The current stream_socket_service, a local IPC messaging service using
unix domain sockets on some platforms, windows named pipes on others,
posix message queues on others - default selection based on service
availability.

The effects of this are:

On posix-esq platforms, just about anything/everything is a "file
descriptor" that a select/poll/epoll call can be used on (interesting
omission is actually conventional disk files) and most of these are
streams, so it is possible to provide async streams that will work with
pipes/char devices at least, once you figure out how to c'truct/open
them, presumably through providing a protocol for opening things that
works on (char devices), a protocol for opening named pipes (fifo's) and
a protocol for dealing with anon pipes/inherited fds etc in general.

On windows overlapped I/O is similarly widely applicable, with analogous
issues re handling creating and connecting to particular "special" files.

I would expect to see some abstract local IPC channel policies that are
portable (but in general only if both ends of the channel use asio and
compatible policies) that simply promise to offer eg. a duplex message
oriented channel or a simplex stream (pipe-like). While these can be
sensibly defaulted on particular platforms for interoperability reasons
it should be possible to eg. use a very portable shared memory IPC
message passing impl or (more likely to interoperate with processes not
using asio, or more stable across asio version updates or...) an
appropriate platform facility such as posix message queues.

I would like to see fine-grained composition from policies similar to
the concepts just to make it easier to maintain and extend the lib (or
maybe more the other way around ;-).

None of the above implies any major change of design, rather it takes
advantage of the design to offer adaptability and portability without
limiting either. I think it would be unfortunate if forms of IO that are
not 100% portable were excluded from "first class" status in the
library. Encouraging the utilization of the design's strengths by making
it easy to re-use and extend the library can only encourage its
acceptance and wider use and development. This would perhaps require
some refactoring of the services and documenting/exposing some of the
detail, but not much else.

What do you think?

Regards
Darryl Green.