From: Bud Millwood (budm_at_[hidden])
Date: 2006-01-02 04:45:18

On Sunday 01 January 2006 18:35, axter wrote:

> "Preston A. Elder" <prez_at_[hidden]> wrote in message
>
> > Hey,
> >
> > What does everyone think of a new smart pointer called deep_ptr.

Last year we released a reactor framework that uses a smart-pointer based on
Andrei Alexandrescu's ideas. The reactor and the smart-pointer are released
under the same license as ACE.

http://www.weirdsolutions.com/developersCentral/tools/ace_additions.txt
http://www.weirdsolutions.com/developersCentral/tools/ace_additions.tar.bz2

>From the docs:

"The smart pointer, which is quite core to the reactor itself, is a relatively
orthogonal set of classes that allow you to declare at compile-time smart
pointers having specific sets of characteristics."

There's a lock policy (object/method/none), an ownership policy (owned/not),
and deep copy policies (ctor/clone()).

I would submit this for inclusion into Boost but I'm a bit too busy to change
the code to meet the requirements. But if anyone finds any of this
interesting, we'd like to see the code get used.

The smart pointer doesn't inherently require ACE, but the type of mutex we use
is based on an ACE mutex. The reactor requires ACE, but only as an interface
(if I recall correctly), which allows it to be used in the existing ACE
framework. I think the reactor could be easily stripped of the ACE
requirement.

Bud Millwood
Weird Solutions, Inc.
http://www.weird-solutions.com