From: Hickman, Greg (greg.hickman_at_[hidden])
Date: 2006-01-11 17:19:40

[snip]

> If you do that, you still get into the situation of having to
> replicate what is essentially a system interface at a level
> that is supposed to provide abstractions and a certain
> measure of system independence, right? I'm not sure that the
> Right Thing(TM) is to allow direct access to file descriptors
> or handles, but the fact remains that over the years I've
> come up with enough time that I've needed to access something
> platform or system-specific related to sockets that I've
> needed something like this.
>
> I don't think it makes sense for asio to become a kitchen
> sink for those sorts of things, but one also shouldn't be
> forced to break encapsulation or abandon asio because one
> needs functionality from one of the lower level tools that
> the asio designers/developers didn't anticipate.

If possible, I'd lean toward the ability to both take advantage of the
platform where it makes sense and rely on portable abstractions
everywhere else. What if I need to demultiplex file I/O events as well
as socket events in a TCP-based echo client? Without the socket handle,
I don't know how to use asio sockets for that.