From: Robin Boerdijk (robin_boerdijk_at_[hidden])
Date: 2006-01-18 02:59:00

> > In short, are Windows event objects still considered harmful?
>
> To rehabilitate them you would need to show not only that they aren't
>
> harmful, but that they are somehow better that the alternatives, that
> they
> have POSIX threads equivalents, that threading experts endorse them,
> etc.,
> etc. Threading is such a minefield that many people are very
> reluctant to
> accept features just because programmers claim to have used them
> successfully. Programmers claimed goto's were fine, too, but they
> eventually fell into disfavor.

It's not that I want events to be rehabilitated in Boost but I object
to the _rationale_ for not including them in Boost. The rationale says
they are evil but the basis for that is unclear to me. They are all
over the place in Windows. Even CRITICAL_SECTION uses them internally.

In another post, I wrote some pseudo code how I implemented Windows
style events using a mutex, condition variable and boolean flag. Is
there something wrong with this code?

Robin