From: AlisdairM (alisdair.meredith_at_[hidden])
Date: 2006-01-25 04:53:49

Thomas Witt wrote:

> For that reason I am going to aim for a feature freeze (Stage 3) in
> two weeks from now.

Does that imply we are in 'stage 2' now, or are we jumping straight
from 1 -> 3?

> Stage 2 - Intracomponent Open Development
> ... However, the changes must be limited in scope and may not have
> far-reaching affects. For instance, the build or regression testing
> systems in Boost cannot be changed at this point ...

I ask, because there was recent discussion on the boost.build lists
about moving to v2 for the next release, and if we are already stage 2
it would seem too to make such a change.

At the least, I think the build maintainers and regression testers need
to make a decision on this fast if we are heading back into release
mode:
Will Boost 1.34 be based on boost build v1 or boost build v2?

Second contentious issue: deprecations.
We have already used a deprecation mechanism for warning about and
later removing libraries. There has been some recent discussion about
stopping support for old compilers. This is a topic that is not going
to go away until resolved, and I think we were getting close to some
agreement (if not on which platforms should go!)

I suggest we formally deprecate VC6, GCC prior to 3, and have a
bun-fight over Borland support. This would ammount to adding the
deprecation notice to the release notes, a #pragma warning to the
compiler config.hpp, but full support through this release as before.

We can argue about what the consequence of deprecation should be for
the next release.

--
AlisdairM